|| ROTORCRAFT PROJECTS |
CDI's expert staff has been providing high quality, cost effective engineering services and
state-of-the-art technical rotorcraft solutions to government and industry for over twenty-five years.
This page contains a list of more recent projects.
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
- BROWNOUT - Stand alone/modular software that provides a
physics-based model of visual "brownout" rendered directly in flight simulation software
when rotorcraft land in sand/dust conditions (for U.S. Army) - read more...
- MAST - Multiple Aircraft Simulation Tool - Stand alone/modular software that
enables real-time flight simulation of multiple aircraft with wake interactions
(for NASA and the U.S. Navy) - read more...
- VLA - PC-based, Visual Landing Aid software for the design
of shipboard lighting systems to faciliate rotorcraft landings at sea (for U.S. Navy)
- CHARM - Stand alone/modular software that provides unique
capabilties in rotorcraft aerodynamic and acoustic modeling (originally for Boeing and NASA)
- read more...
- EHPIC-HERO - Rotor blade design software utilizing a unique
"influence coefficient" method for fast, accurate performance optimization (originally for NASA)
- read more...
- LDTRAN - Analysis software for predicting entrainment and transport
of hazardous biological/chemical agents by rotorwash (for U.S. Army) - read more...
- VorTran-M - First-principles Eulerian vorticity transport wake module that
allows capture of the true temporal and spatial structure of the rotor wake when coupled to
Eulerian and Lagrangian CFD tools - read more...
HARDWARE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
- SMART TABS - Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) actuated tabs that allow tuning
of rotor blade aerodynamics in-flight for tracking, survivability, performance enhancement and
noise reduction (for U.S. Army & Navy) - read more...
- WIRELESS ROTOR INSTRUMENTATION SYSTEM - Distributed accelerometer sensors measure blade deflections and applied loads in flight (for U.S. Navy)
- PASSIVE TILTROTOR ICE DETECTION SYSTEM - Infers tiltrotor ice accretion in flight
by analyzing performance changes relative to pilot control positions (for U.S. Navy)
ROTOR BLADE DESIGN PROJECTS
- S-61 MAIN ROTOR BLADE - Redesign of the S-61 main rotor blade with Carson
Helicopters yielded a 2000 lb increase in hover gross lift and a 15 knot increase
in cruise speed at altitude. New blades are currently (2006) being implemented on the Presidential
- V-22 RECONFIGURABLE ROTOR BLADE (RRB) - Design of next generation V-22
rotor blades that will reconfigure themselves in flight for improved performance in hover and
airplane mode (for Boeing and U.S. Navy) - view a poster of this project...
- RAH-66 COMANCHE ROTOR BLADE - Performed by Sikorsky Aircraft, using in part
CDI's EHPIC-HERO software.
- AARP AH-64 APACHE ROTOR BLADE - Performed by Boeing Mesa, using in part
CDI's EHPIC-HERO software.
- OPTIMUM TWIST ROTOR BLADES - Optimal twist distributions for tiltrotor and
conventional rotorcraft blades - U.S. Patent 6,497,385 B1.
- QUIET UAV PROPELLERS - Quiet UAV propeller designs (for U.S. Navy and InSitu Corp.)
- SCHIEBEL S-100 CAMCOPTER DESIGN - Main rotor/tail rotor design
- COAXIAL/DUCTED ROTOR UAV DESIGN - Coaxial rotor design for a ducted UAV (for UTRI)
- AERODYNAMIC ANALYSIS of the YSH-60/VTDP PUSHER PROP - Analysis of interaction/
interference effects of rotor wake/fuselage/wing of the YSH-60/VTDP Pusher Prop compund aircraft
(for Piasecki Aircraft)
- VDTR HANDLING QUALITIES ASSESSMENT - CDI evaluated the handling qualities of
Sikorsky Aircraft's Variable Diameter Tilt Rotor (VDTR) concept using our CHARM software and a modified
version of the NASA/LaRCsim tiltrotor flight simulator (for Sikorsky Aircraft)
- JETTISON ANALYSIS - CDI used in-house flight simulation software and the
CHARM wake module to determine the trajectory of objects jettisoned from Sikorsky rotorcraft
(for Sikorsky Aircraft)
- BVI NOISE MITIGATION USING SMA-DRIVEN FLAPS - Using our CHARM/WOPWOP analysis,
CDI engineers identified an on-board flap system that can be deployed during landing to reduce
BVI noise by a factor of two. This prediction was then validated through wind tunnel testing in
the Ames Research Center 7' x 10' Wind Tunnel - view a poster of this project...
- TILTROTOR PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT AND BVI NOISE REDUCTION - CDI used our CHARM/WOPWOP
analysis to identify on-board flap systems that could improve tiltrotor performance and reduce
BVI noise through in flight adjustment (for the U.S. Navy and NASA)
- RAH-66 COMANCHE EMPENNAGE TEST DATA REDUCTION - CDI performed data reduction
for a Comanche empennage loads test (for Sikorsky Aircraft)
More rotorcraft projects...
More projects in aerospace and other disciplines...